Nutrition and Natural Supplementation in Concussion Recovery
This course provides an overview of nutritional requirements for brain health, nervous system function, and concussion recovery.
Nutrition and Natural Supplementation in Concussion Recovery Course provides an overview of nutritional requirements for brain health, nervous system function, and concussion recovery. Ketogenic and anti-inflammatory diets will be discussed, as well as the role of intermittent fasting. Key over-the-counter supplements and herbs will be reviewed in-depth, with a focus on mechanisms of action, indications, dosage, safety and quality concerns.
The objective of this course is to familiarize course participants with common nutritional supplements, diet plans, and general nutritional considerations that may benefit patients in recovery from concussions and associated post-concussion symptoms.
More specifically, we will review:
- The role of nutrition in brain health and neurodegenerative processes following concussions
- The importance of promoting healthy circulation and cerebral blood flow for concussion recovery
- The use of natural supplements to improve brain health and promote recovery
- The functional connections between brain health and digestive health
- The importance of eliminating inflammatory influences and supporting immune function
The topics covered include:
- Pathophysiology of concussions and PCS
- Symptomatic presentation of Post-Concussion Syndrome
- Role of nutrition in brain health
- Key vitamins and minerals for brain health
- Key nutritional supplements
- Herbs for supporting brain health
- Ketogenic Diets
- Anti-inflammatory/Gluten-free Diets
- Nutritional Irritants
At the conclusion of this program, you will be able to:
- Discuss the role of nutrition in brain health and neurodegenerative processes following concussions
- Recognize the importance of promoting healthy circulation and cerebral blood flow for concussion recovery
- Describe the use of natural supplements to improve brain health and promote recovery
- Discuss the functional connections between brain health and digestive health
- Recognize the importance of eliminating inflammatory influences and supporting immune function
Continuing Education Credits
Please click here to view the course directory with continuing education credit information (courses are listed alphabetically). The Certificate of Completion is available once the course is complete.
StartPart 1: Pathophysiology of Concussions and PCS (12:13)
StartPart 2: Case Study: Chase | 31 y.o. male MMA fighter (14:32)
StartPart 3: FAQ Review (1:58)
StartPart 4: Brain & Immune Function (6:09)
StartPart 5: Immunoexcitotoxicity | CTE | Symptomatic Presentation of Post-Concussion Syndrome (45:06)
StartPart 6: Intake | Case Study (24:24)
StartPart 7: Role of Nutrition in Brain Health (14:35)
StartPart 8: Gut-Brain Axis | Nutritional Irritants | Key Nutrients for Brain Health (42:55)
StartPart 9: Essential Fatty Acids (13:03) (13:02)
StartPart 10: Support | Ketogenic Diets | Key Herbs for Brain Health (25:51)
StartPart 11: A Discussion on Vinpocetine (2:18)
StartPart 12: Treatment Goals for Concussion Recovery & Neurodegenerative Prevention (13:29)
StartQuiz - Good luck!
This course is not open for enrollment.
Amy Moll DAOM, L.Ac (OR, FL), Dipl. OM (NCCAOM)
Dr. Moll is a Doctor of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine specializing in neurological disorders, chronic pain, and concussion recovery. She is a faculty member of the Carrick Institute of Clinical Neuroscience and Rehabilitation. She teaches courses for healthcare practitioners across the country on neurological exam techniques, functional neurology, dysautonomia, and concussion recovery, and has been a featured speaker in veterans groups on the topic of brain health.
While in Dallas, Texas, she was the team acupuncturist for the professional MMA fighters at Fortis MMA in Dallas Texas, working with UFC and Legacy fighters. She is now in private practice in Bend, Oregon providing a unique combination of acupuncture, Chinese medicine, and functional neurology for the treatment of neurological disorders.